The WHL received good news on Monday, after British Columbia health minister Adrian Dix said that the province had approved the plan outlined by the league to resume the season.
There are five teams in the WHL’s “B.C. Division” who are affected. Previously, that division had not received local approval to begin playing games but teams in the other provinces had been given approval. The Alberta Division began this past weekend with the U.S. and East Divisions beginning soon.
WHL teams are competing in an abbreviated 24-game schedule with no fans.
However, the BCHL faces a tougher road, reportedly. Dix said that the BCHL’s plan had been received but said the decision regarding that league is in the hands of Dr. Bonnie Henry, the provincial health officer.
According to reports, the BCHL hopes to have an answer from the province this week. The BCHL proposal involved three pods of three teams and two pods of four teams.
According to Steve Ewen of the Vancouver Sun, the WHL is dealing with just one health authority with hubs in Kamloops and Kelowna, while the BCHL is dealing with multiple health authorities as their pods are spread out over more of the province.
The BCHL reportedly has a 20-game season in its plans, which will start this month and extend into May if approved. The report went on to say that if the season is not approved by the province by Wednesday of this week, league owners will cancel the season officially on Thursday.