Falmouth Shuts Out Barnstable 6-0

Hyannis, MA – Thanks to MyHockeyLive we were able to take in a Cape rivalry special with the Falmouth Clippers taking on the Barnstable Red Hawks. The Red Hawks hosted the Clippers at the Hyannis Youth and Community Center in front of a raucous crowd. Barnstable took the ice hoping to end Falmouth’s winning streak and get their first win of the season. 

While initially, it seemed as though Barnstable would be able to mount a charge offensively, they were unable to maintain possession in the attacking zone. The Red Hawks took their first penalty at 10:44 of the first period. While they were able to successfully kill the penalty, it didn’t take long for Falmouth to cash in. Junior defenseman Connor Hennigan, assisted by Bud Driscoll, got the Clippers their first goal of the game with 6:08 left in the first. After Hennigan’s goal, the game got physical with matching roughing penalties coming just over a minute later. 1-0 was our score after 1.

The second period action started early with another Falmouth goal 26 seconds in by sophomore defenseman Chris Shanahan and assisted by Daren McDonald. Sixty seconds later Barnstable got their first power play of the game but the Red Hawks were ultimately unable to capitalize on the power play. Another set of penalties were doled out to each team with 7:54 left in the second. Shortly after that, freshman forward Kele Gregory, assisted by Charlie Bardelis, quickly put another one on the board for Falmouth, scoring his first varsity goal with 7:32 remaining. Before the next faceoff, another set of matching penalties for roughing were assessed, things were getting chippy. Falmouth continued to dominate possession and the period ended quietly with the Clippers leading the Red Hawks 3-0. 

The third period started fast with another goal 1:48 seconds in by Falmouth’s Charlie Bardelis and assisted by Gabriel Meehan. Barnstable remained unable to maintain possession of the puck and allowed Falmouth to generate shot after shot. Falmouth senior Daren McDonald put the Clippers up 5-0 with 6:37 remaining in the game off a breakaway, almost certainly wrapping this one up. Barnstable looked to break the shutout against their rival thanks to a Clipper interference call with five minutes left. Barnstable unfortunately failed to take advantage of the power play as the game returned to 5-on-5. On the flip side, Barnstable was assessed a late penalty and it resulted in a Falmouth power-play goal with 2:17 remaining in the game by Matt Quinlan and assisted by Nate Hopwood and Chris Shanahan. This game ended with a wire-to-wire 6-0 victory for the still undefeated Falmouth Clippers and shutout for junior goalie Jack Braga over rival Barnstable. 

Three Stars:

  1. G Jack Braga, Falmouth
  2. F Charlie Bardelis, Falmouth
  3. F Daren McDonald, Falmouth