MHL Cup: Framingham and Marshfield Tie 1-1, Go To Shootout

Framingham, MA: The Marshfield Rams came from behind to tie up the Framingham Flyers and then survived two penalty kills in a 3-on-3 OT format to go on and win the shootout and a trip to the MHL Cup Finals. Both teams deserved a win and the game goes down as a tie in the MIAA records. Both Jake Handy of the Flyers and Jack Gatie of the Rams played well.

Framingham Flyers after one period over the Marshfield Rams. We missed the first period as our ride from The Bog was longer than anticipated but gathered Framingham had the better of the play. Mike Tersoni scored from Robbie Lopez as the first line clicked early for the home team in the first period.

In the second, an experienced Marshfield team put pucks in the Flyers zone and were able to cycle in the opponent’s zone, drawing a couple power play chances. Senior Sean Kennedy fired a puck that got behind junior goalie Jake Handy and by the Marshfield reaction, crossed the line. It was called no goal. Framingham put pressure on the Rams defense with quick rushes in transition and a relentless forecheck but the score remained 1-0 Framingham headed into the final frame.

It was a wild third with a few penalties and some chances for both sides again. Framingham played with lots of pace and Marshfield played on the correct side of the puck and remained patient. It paid off when junior defenseman Jon Jordan fired a slap shot on goal that deflected off a Flyer player and in to tie it 1-1. A frantic, largely wild pace ensued. Marshfield goalie Jack Gatie had to make a nice stop on Flyers’ sniper Mike Tersoni right at the buzzer. The Flyers carried a PP to OT where they had 4-3 chance and then another and could not score.

Overtime ended with no scoring and a three-man shootout ensued. Paul Rorke and Kevin Moriarty scored for the Rams and Mike Tersoni for the Flyers. Marshfield advances to the championship game with the 2-1 shootout victory but the contest will be considered a tie in the eyes of the MIAA.

Coach Connolly from Marshfield commented after the game

“For us, going in we knew it would be a tight game. It always is with us and Framingham. They took it to us in the first, but we were able to weather the storm and hold them to just one goal. In the 2nd I thought our forwards got pucks in deep and behind their D. Once we did that we were able to get our offense going and generate chances. We finally got rewarded in the 3rd. It was a very exciting game, with lots of energy in the building.”

NZ Take:

Overall, this was a game of differing styles. Framingham wants to play fast in transition and they go back at opponents quickly on turnovers. Marshfield wanted to play zone-to-zone and slow the game down as Framingham has as much speed as anyone in Mass HS. It was an interesting contrast. For Marshfield, junior forward Max Burum went hard to the net and showed good strength. Jordan had the tying goal but also gave the Rams valuable minutes and had good touches on pucks. Has some length too. Senior D Kevin Buckley showed quick hands, a good defensive stick and used the middle of the ice. Can carry and played PP. Senior Paul Rorke was involved all game. Worked on the forecheck. Senior Sean Kennedy blocked two shots and cleared a puck in OT on the PK down 4-3. He played key moments and is a smart two-way guy. You need guys like Kennedy to win games like this.

For Framingham, their first group of TersoniRobbie Lopez and Nate James play with lots of pace and push bad gaps on opponents. James has a clever stick. Tersoni is one of the very best players in the MIAA and can fly. Lopez is fast and aggressive. Junior D Ryan Watton is a puck mover. Sophomore Hunter Balducci showed good speed on the forecheck. Played some PP. Thomas Duane is a promising freshman who played late minutes in a tie game and showed real speed with some size.

Three stars:
1. Jack Gatie (Marshfield)
2. Mike Tersoni (Framingham)
3. Sean Kennedy (Marshfield)